||Township patented to Daniel McCormick by Macomb.
Named for Edward, brother, of Daniel McCormick.
||Russell Turnpike, Military highway completed
through Edwards, opening the land for settlement. Enos Chapin was
road superintendent during construction of the military turnpike.
He became father-in-law of George Allan, Pitcairn's land agent.
||First settlers came ... Asa Brayton, Jr.and
wife, Eunice. On October 22 they had first baby born in Edwards, John Brayton.
Another settler of that year, Abel Bancroft, and wife, Sally Tarbell, also
had a new baby, date unknown, Abel Edward Bancroft, Jr.
||Brick house in Edwards village begun for occupancy
of Joseph Pitcairn's land agent. Bricks made in a brickyard on Given
Road on what is now Bullock’s land.
||Scottish settlers, under auspices of Joseph
Pitcairn, arrived and became the nucleus of Edwards community. They
finished building the brick house and stayed in the house through the first
winter with the new land agent, George Allan, who had immigrated with the
other Scottish settlers.
||Town of Edwards organized. First
meeting held at William Martin’s.
||A Captain Alfred Freeman erected an iron furnace
in area that became Talcville later and tried make a success of the iron
ore. While it never was a successful business, the community was known
as Freemansburg until talc became the ore most mined and the named was changed
||About this date the first village cemetery, on Main
St., abandoned and property was purchased on Church St. for a larger graveyard
and became known as Riverside Cemetery. Actual date not known.
Riverside Cemetery does not show on the 1858 map, but is in place on the
||Civil War began. April 9, 1865 was the surrender of
the South at Appomattox Court House. President Lincoln
assassinated on April 14th by John Wilkes Booth. Formal
ending of the war was 26 May 1865. 164 men enlisted from
Edwards, although not all were residents of the town.
Number of deaths in service was 30.
||Talc discovered on Nelson Freeman's farm in Talcville,
then Freemansburg. He leased the mineral rights to Agalite Fibre Co.
They began digging the following spring.
||The hamlet of Freemansburgh was officially renamed
||Item in Gouverneur Free press ... "The talc
mines of the Agalite Fiber Co. fell in from the roof last week and yesterday
at about five o'clock, the ground fell in. The cave in is only about
three rods from Mr. Freeman's house, and some repairs will have to be made
at once. Teams have been traveling over the place recently". This
was the Freeman Mine and happened directly in front of the Nelson Freeman
home in Talcville. A picture of the Freeman home shows a huge pit
where the front yard had been.
||(newspaper) Dr. Taylor asked his tenants
to move as he plans to repair the house and live there.
||(newspaper) Dr. Taylor has commenced housekeeping in his house
which he purchased of H. Gardner.
||"Mr. F. L. Davis has his store and dwelling
house nearly completed. The workmen are putting on the finishing coats
of paint and plaster". Mr. Davis was a jeweler and also had firearms
and fishing tackle in his store. This building was the long time dentist
office of Dr. Willis Campbell, then the telephone office for a number of
||News article ... Wm. Grant has the foundation and basement
completed for a large furniture store on Main St. next door to the Post
Office. This building was later the Grange Hall. The post office
mentioned was in Raymond's store on corner of Main and Church, with L. Raymond
as postmaster. By the first week of August, Grant had his building nearly
||Edwards village incorporated.
||Railroad completed and first trains ran that day.
||Disastrous fire which destroyed most of
Main St and some of Factory St. and Maple Ave.
||article in Northern Tribune. "Grant and Bell of Talcville
building the new school". This building served as their local elementary
school until centralization closed outlying schools. Now used as a
home. From an old map there appears to have been an earlier school
behind the newer one just beyond the turn onto Ames Rd.
||article in Northern Tribune. Williams & Johnston, architects
of Ogdensburg, will draw the plans and specifications for the new town hall
to be erected this fall. The design has been on exhibition in the
||article in Northern Tribune. "The architects for the new
town hall have just completed the plans. The new building will have
a frontage of 45 feet and be 80 feet deep. The first story will be of Gouverneur
marble with Potsdam sandstone trimmings and the second story will be of
brick. There will be a tower about 75 feet high on the right hand
corner of the building and over the colonial entrance there will be a large
triplet window with stone arch. Within on the first floor will be
the town meeting room and on second floor an amusement hall with a seating
capacity of about 400. The town officers' rooms and the town
lockup are on the first floor. The building is a very pretty one and
will be a credit to the town. The work of erection will be commenced
in a week or ten days and the building will be completed the present season."
Erection did not begin as the article states, but was later than planned.
||V.S. Records #184-189. Terrible cave-in
at Talcville mine. Six men killed. Alfred Tetherton, Charles
W. LaRock, John Mathews, Milford S. McLaughlin, Fred Hurley McCoy, William
H. Dawley. The Town Clerk wrote a note in the records ... "Unfortunate
miners, killed without one moment's notice, by falling talc in Freeman mine
at Talcville, NY, Feb 13, 1897, leaving 5 widows and 26 children.
||Dr. Willis Campbell, dentist, moved to village from Gouverneur.
Practiced here until retirement.
|Spanish-American War with formal ending on 10 Dec 1898.
Edwards men who participated were: Martin Henry Hogue, Frank
Wesley Ingraham, Alexander Oswald Noyes, Herbert Wheeler.
||Zinc mill built by Northern Ore on the Robert Brown
||William Grant sold his building on Maple Ave. to
the Masonic Lodge.
||The second hotel built on the corner on Main
St. and Maple Ave. (the first one built 1860), after the fire of 1894, was
renamed. It had been the "Thomas House", but the owner at that time,
Fred Goutermont, changed the name to "Hotel Edwards" and that name remained
until the building burned in May 1970.
||The IOOF Hall (International Order of Odd Fellows) built on the
lot that originally contained the first village cemetery.
||Northern Ore bought the local mine and began developing it
as a good commercial operation employing many workers.
||Urban O. Webb started the local electric power company. (Some sources
say 1910. Should be checked.) Cyrus Watson store first commercial
building to be wired and Mott Meldrim first private home to have electricity.
Only had power from about 7:00A.M. to 11:00P.M. when Ernest Gibbons, the
operator, shut it down and went home for the night.
||A committee of Edwards men met to discuss
whether there was enough interest among the townspeople to consider organizing
a local bank.
||Application for a charter for the Edwards National Bank was approved
by the Comptroller of the Currency.
||The First National Bank in Edwards opened for business on Saturday
afternoon with its office in the Town Hall.
||Fairview Cemetery chartered. Land had been
property of the Woodcock family and in accordance with their request, their
parents remains were moved from Riverside Cemetery to the new burial ground
as the first interments.
||United States entered WWI. 91 men from
Edwards served in this conflict. Four died in service.
||At the 11th hour of 11th day of the 11th
month of the year WWI was ended. The date became a national holiday,
Armistice Day, in 1919, and was renamed Veterans Day in 1954 with a broader
||An exciting day in Edwards. There were three
births and one murder. The first birth was Don Hubert Gregory followed
by Helena Inez Freeman, both in the village. The doctor went from
one birth straight to the second. The third birth was Eloise House
in the Ingraham home at the foot of Sand Hill. Later in the day in
the Ingraham home, the step-father, George Allen, was intoxicated and arguing
with his stepson, Robert Ingraham. Robert went out the door and George
Allen fired the gun he was holding. The bullet pierced the door, hit
and mortally wounded, Robert Ingraham, age about 20 years.
||The 18th Amendment passed bringing Prohibition
to the United States. (Ratified January 1920). Throughout this period,
in Edwards, as elsewhere, there were men who made alcoholic beverages, or
brought them in from Canada to sell illegally to the townspeople.
||First Miss America pageant held.
||In Edwards there were a number of arrests involving residents who
were making "Moonshine", an illegal alcoholic beverage.
||Mine cave-in that came to the surface
on Trout Lake Road and a number of houses and other buildings and trees
sank in. No fatalities or injuries.
||John Milan purchased the blacksmith shop
property from W. O. Cleland and had the two story building in which he operated
an ice cream parlor erected that year by Roscoe Todd, on the triangular
portion. The Meldrim Electric Co in Edwards installed the wiring and
electrical fixtures. He opened for business on June 6, 1925.
||St. Joseph Lead Co. made its first acquisition
in the area by purchasing Northern Ore Co. in Edwards.
||“Black Thursday” - Stock Market crash on
Wall Street. The Great Depression began in United States.
||Congress passed the Blaine resolution to
submit to the states the 21st amendment for the repeal of the 18th Amendment
(Prohibition). It was adopted by December. Those establishments in
Edwards passing as non-alcoholic public houses were able to get licenses
to sell legally, what they had been selling illegally right along.
||President Franklin D. Roosevelt enacted the Social
||Germany invaded Poland. Clifford Pratt,
a boy in the village who sold the newspapers, stood on the hotel corner
with the extra edition calling out the headlines so the people could buy
the paper to read the account of the invasion.
||In summer the third draft in the history of the United
States enacted. Those males between the ages of 21 and 35 required
to register for one year of military service.
||Japan bombed Pearl harbor. United States
declared war on Japan on Dec 8th. Both young men and women of Edwards enlisted
during this war.
||The WAAC (Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps)
formed. Later changed to WAC. There were six girls from Edwards
who joined the service during WWII, but not all were in the army.
||Olan Keith Brayton, Edwards serviceman (army) of WWII,
dies as prisoner of the Japanese. First casualty of WWII from Edwards and
first citizen from St. Lawrence County to die in a Japanese prison camp.
Local VFW post named for him.
||WWII goods rationing began. Included
shoes, sugar, meat, cheese, and canned goods.
Because of the war there were no cars manufactured in 1943. (from
the History Channel on TV)
||D Day in WWII when the Allies invaded the coast of Europe.
||Arthur Blaine Fenner, Talcville native,
who had joined the Air Force, was killed in action in a parachute jump over
water, near Italy. Body not recovered.
|| Earl Reed, Jr., local soldier, was killed on the
beach by enemy fire in northwestern France when coming off an LCT during
WWII and is buried in a cemetery for fallen servicemen in St. James, Manche,
||James Skeldon of Talcville, sailor, was
a member of the crew on the submarine, "Swordfish" when it was sunk in the
Pacific Ocean, becoming the fourth Edwards resident to give his life in
WWII. Body not recovered.
||Talcville native Everett Hurley, soldier, was accidentally shot
by a buddy who was cleaning his gun in their barracks on Biak Island, New
Guinea. He died of the wound. Body not returned to family until
||Franklin D. Roosevelt died at 4:35 P. M.
of a massive cerebral hemorrhage at his retreat in Warm Springs, Georgia.
||Germany surrendered at 2:30 A. M. ending WWII. General
Walter Bedell Smith accepted the German surrender.
||Japanese surrender. The Japanese emperor announced their
surrender to his people on Aug 15. The end of WWII. A
total of seven Edwards servicemen's deaths in WWII.
||The baby boom began. Those children born between 1946
and 1964 are considered "Baby Boomers".
||Edwards High School became Edwards Central School.
||Section of Ames Rd. in Talcville caved in over what is
believed to have been, originally, the Freeman Mine, closing the
road for a period.
||The first Kindergarten in Edwards began with class in the
basement of the Methodist Church. Ercel Cassidy McKee was
the teacher. Until Feb 1952 when the new wing was ready,
she had to walk with the children to the school and back, daily,
for the special classes and lunches.
||The new wing on the school finished and the Kindergarten
class, of about 30 students, moved into their new classroom.
||Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation completed purchase of
Edwards Light & Power Co. from Grant and Harry Webb. Local
power company was started by their father, Urban O. Webb.
||Ford Motor Co. introduced their new model
car for 1958, the "Edsel", named for Ford's son. It was never very
popular and production was stopped in 1960. Lloyd Soper was the only
person in Edwards to buy one. His was the Corsair, the intermediate
model, with 345 hp., and retailed at $3,390, a large amount for the time.
One day while driving over a rough section of road, the windshield popped
out, slid down the hood onto the pavement in front of the car, and Lloyd
ran over it before he could stop!
||the Edwards Hotel burned.
||Lions Club partitioned off back section of Election Room
(Court Room) in Town Hall for use as a History Center by
Historian, Leah Noble.
||the Edwards Methodist church burned. Services were
held in Sacred Heart Catholic Church for 19 months until a new
church was completed.
||The Library needed new roof and the two fireplace chimneys,
one at each end of the building, had to be removed because of
prohibitive cost to repair them.
||The year of our nation's 200th birthday and communities all
over America were doing special things. Edwards had a week
of celebration in May with events happening each day,
culminating in a parade on May 31.
||St. Lawrence National Bank, Edwards office, closes after
having been open only two days a week for a period.
||a Friday ... Edwards mine closes. Severe effect on
||Edith Duffy appointed Town and Village Historian following
death of Historian, Leah Noble.
||Official date of the beginning of the Edwards-Russell
Central School District, the merger of Edwards Central with Knox
Memorial Central of Russell. State law required that
merged districts be named for the communities within the region.
The board of education then had to request that the state
legislature change the name to Edwards-Knox, which is was.
Edwards area students continued to attend school in the village
while the new building was constructed.
||Students began the school year in the new building built
about halfway between the two communities. The faculty began Sep
5 with meetings all day.
||Brick buildings on west side of Main Street razed because of
their poor condition.
||A new take out restaurant named "Wings & Things" opened
today in Dr. Campbell's (Lela Brown's home) building.
Bonnie Norton owns it. They feature pizza, subs, calzones
||Bowling Alley burned. Electrical in origin.
||Edwards connected to Internet via a volunteer group of the
four neighboring towns ... Hermon, Edwards, Russell, DeGrasse
... known by the acronym HERD. This made possible local,
rather than long distance calls, for customers, when connected
to the Internet.
||The Fire Dept burned the two condemned Myron Clark tenements
on Trout Lake St. about 8:00 A. M. The two buildings had been
knocked down in preparation for the burning.
||the day before Thanksgiving, the bridge to Island, by the
oldest house in Edwards, taken out, making the street a dead end
and forcing the residents on the Island to go the route of New
St., to Pleasant St. to Island St. to get home.
||During the summer the bridge in South Edwards was replaced.
While the work was done the bridge was completely closed and
traffic had to use the River Road.
||Edwards Knox Central School started an Alternative Education
Program/GED held off-campus in the recreation room of the Sacred
Heart rectory on Trout Lake St. This program is designed for
those students, at least age 16, who learn better in a
nontraditional program. They are instructed in the five
core areas for one-half day and attend BOCES programs in the
county for the other one-half day. The teacher for
1998-1999 was Mrs. Robin Hurley (wife of Thomas Hurley, whose
father, Larry Hurley grew up in Edwards). The teacher for
1999-2000, Mr. Michael VandenBerg.
||Organizational meeting held to reactivate the Edwards
Historical Association with 12 people in attendance.
||First meeting of the reactivated historical group.
||Edwards Historical Association held a Scots Heritage Day to
commemorate the 180th year of the immigrants from Scotland
arriving in Edwards. Of the 10 families known to have come
to Edwards, seven still have descendants living in the
community. Weather was damp and windy for the program, but
had around 300 people attend.
||TDS Telecom, local phone company, having previously
purchased the land on which the old brick buildings stood, began
building a new business office on the site nearest to the Town
Hall. They had their first day of business in the new
building on 13 Dec 1999.
||Sunday, the Italianate style, square house in Pleasant
Valley built by Bower Freeman in early 1900s was razed at 7:30
A.M. by a controlled burn at the request of the present owners,
Daniel and Margaret Cole Fuller, so they could replace it with a
double wide factory built house. First half of the new house
arrived on Oct 15th.
||(Monday). The store first opened as Padgett's before 1900,
then became associated with IGA chain, then independent as "L
Bee's" (Lynette Brassard), closed, with sign on door saying
"temporarily closed until further notice".
||The former telephone company building prepared to be razed.
Built for John Milan in 1925 by Roscoe Todd. The rear
section of the building left standing as phone company garage.
This part originally built by W. O. Cleland as a blacksmith
shop. The building taken completely down the next day, Dec
21st. They worked at cleaning up the heap through Thursday
and putting plywood and vinyl siding on the exposed end of the
||Workmen from Griffith Oil, Potsdam, NY began installing a
propane gas furnace against the back wall in the museum section
of the Town Hall today.
||The new year, with the date turning 2000, did not result in
all the catastrophes that had been foretold by the pessimists.
Everything worked just fine.
||Frosty's Wings & Things, a pizza and similar items "take
out" business, located in Dr. Campbell's former building, closed
because of insufficient funds. (Filed for bankruptcy).
The former owner had made an apartment upstairs and Sandra
Whitford rents it. Opened March or April 1996.
||(a Friday) ... The former Frosty's opened this evening as
Hayden's Bakery and Pizzeria.