Guiles Road of Past Times
Based on a talk given for the Edwards Historical Association by Linda Bridgeland Perry on 12 Oct 2005
Posted April 5, 2012
The Guiles Road, located off County Route 23, was quite often referred to as "The Power Plant Road". It has always been known for good hunting of deer, pheasant, etc. it was in existence by the 1830s. A Guiles family lived on the road, but the majority of that family lived in Shawville. Some of the family died during 1860s typhoid epidemic.
The power plant was originally a pulp mill that operated there in the late 1800s and early 1900s employing 15 or more men from the local population. It was owned by Dean and Aldrich. The building was rebuilt in 1900 after a fire in the 1890s. Carthage Tissue Paper Company purchased it after the turn of the century. Teams of horses hauled the pulp to Harrisville where, in turn, it was shipped by freight to Carthage.
The pulp mill in South Edwards is pictured at the left.
Niagara Mohawk eventually became the owner and made it a hydro-electric plant. The first plastic penstock used in the United States was in the South Edwards Power Plant. Part of the facility was rebuilt in recent years, prompting a ribbon cutting ceremony with several company officials attending.
An airplane went down in the 1970s at the extreme end of the road, which
is now only a trail.
Walter Watson operated a farm on the Guiles Road not too far from power
plant, and also worked at the power plant. His young daughter, Mary
Ann, was in the barn while he and his housekeeper, Edna Bridgeland with
her sons, J. L. and Dean, were doing the milking. It was during a
thunder and lightning storm and "Middy Ann" happened to be standing under
an electrical outlet, which had no bulb in it. Lightning came in through
the open outlet, striking the child, causing her death 19 May 1931.
In addition to the Guiles family on that road in earlier periods, there
were other families whose homes have long been gone. Some of the names
were Snow, Bannister, Pratt, Lynde, Vrooman and Scott. On this old road now
there are houses owned by Guy Law, Cecil Brown, Rick Fenton, and Jamie Fenton.