The Day the Catholics Almost Killed the Methodists
The infamous chicken dinner of Sacred Heart parish which "nearly killed"
those partaking of it took place on St. Patrick's Day, 17 March 1929, and
is believed to have been served in the Edwards Grange Hall.
The event was scheduled to be held on a Sunday. At that time the Methodist
church had a fiery, young minister and when he learned the dinner was to
be on a Sunday, he forbade his parishioners to attend.
Of course, this didn't set well with a number of Methodists
- to have the
young minister tell them what they could and could not do - so they went
In 1929 refrigeration was not the refrigeration of the 21st century, but
was the ice box or a cool cellar. Apparently the chickens were cooked
many hours before, cooled and reheated at the time of the dinner on Sunday.
This method, although the dinner was delicious, allowed bacteria to grow
causing a number of the diners to become violently ill with food poisoning
and affected some of them even through Monday.
had to be, the Methodists were among those taken sick. This included
the postmistress, Mrs. May Ferry, who, although she managed to go to work
the next day, had to leave her post a number of times on Monday for
Story as told on 2 Aug 1997 to LaVerne H. Freeman by Katheryn
Freeman Fuller, who remembered the incident.
correct date from Velma Hall's diary, property of Edwards History Center.